Seniors will lose housekeeping help
Posted on Nov 20 2003

By Martin van den Hemel and Chris Bryan
Staff Reporters - The Richmond Review, Richmond, BC

Mark Patrick file photo - http://tinyurl.com/vwxl

Richmond's Catharina and Roland Smith, struggling to remain independent despite their declining health, were outraged
when their home care help was reduced last year. Now that service has been eliminated.

The day after community home support worker Santi Gelera begins school in January, she'll no longer have a job.

Gelera and about three dozen of her colleagues were given their termination notices on Wednesday after the province
opted to pull the plug on housekeeping assistance for seniors.

Gelera has been helping Richmond's Catharina and Roland Smith remain independent in spite of their declining health,
doing the laundry, cleaning around the house and preparing meals for the couple.

Catharina, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, is all but confined to a wheelchair, while Roland's health has taken a
turn for the worse.

"I don't know what to do," Gelera said of the notice she received Wednesday morning from her Vancouver Coastal Health
Authority case manager. The layoffs will affect about 35 support workers, Gelera estimates.

In Gelera's case, she had signed up for classes in January to upgrade her skills in order to become a home care worker,
who can provide personal care.

Meanwhile the Smiths are also looking for answers.

"This is quite a shock to be told that this service is no longer available," Catharina said.

The Smiths first contacted The Richmond Review in September 2002 to complain about a reduction in home support help
from 4.5 hours per week to two hours, and a constant shuffling of workers that saw eight different people sent to their
home in eight weeks. After their story was published, Gelera, who had been working for them for years, was again
assigned to them.

Dr. Jeff Coleman, chief operating officer of Richmond Health Services, told council about the cutbacks Monday.

The move is part of a push to bring services in line with provincial standards, but actually mean a reduction of
housekeeping services for Richmond seniors.

"These are clients we have anyway," Coleman said. "But we were doing more than we're supposed to be doing. It's a
decision we've had to make because if we don't meet the standard, we'll be asked why we didn't. We stand to gain in
most areas by committing to equity."

These comments failed to satisfy Coun. Harold Steves.

"I'm really upset that because we're above the provincial norm, you say we have to lower it," he said.

Coleman said the health authority will be working hard over the next month to find other agencies who can provide this
service for the seniors impacted.

Overall, Coleman believes health care in the region is on the upswing.

For the Smiths, however, the change brings uncertainty and more stress.

"Our medical condition has worsened," Catharina said. "How we're going to be able to do more is another question."

SOURCE: The Richmond Review, Richmond, BC
http://tinyurl.com/vwxl

* * *