INDIA: Ayurveda: Mud Bath Cures Chronic Ailments
Kodalampatti (Tamil Nadu), November 16, 2003

A naturopathy centre in southern India claims to have a miraculous cure for chronic diseases through its mud therapy.

Located in the remote Kodlampatti town of Tamil Nadu, the centre daily attends to over 300 patients with chronic
ailments.

Foreigners and urban elite who have taken years of modern treatment vouch for the efficacy of the therapy.

Known as "Mann Kuliyal" or mud bath, the therapy works on the principles of the Indian system of medicine called
Ayurveda.

Ayurveda which means knowledge of life is a 5,000-year-old medicine system exlusive to India.

Doctors at the centre say they tap the curing properties of prithvi (Earth) and vayu (Air) in their therapy.

They claim to have cured ailments ranging from Parkinson's disease to cancer.

A patient said she was cured of her paralysis of the lower limbs.

"Earlier the problem with my body was that I did not have any sensation in the portion below the hips. Treatments were
on for a long time but it was only after coming here and taking the mud bath and oil treatment that I am returning to
normalcy," Krishnaveni said.

N Shanmugan, superintendent of the centre, said the therapy was effective for innumerable diseases.

"The mud bath is unique and useful and through this we can cure over 3000 diseases ranging from nervous problems, liver
ailments to those of the lungs etc," Shanmugan said.

Ayurvedic texts prescribe mud bath for a variety of diseases. A number of herbs are grounded and added to the mixture
before it is applied on patients' bodies.

According to a study, the global herbal market is worth 120 billion dollars a year and Ayurveda's share is 60 billion
dollars.

SOURCE: Hindustan Times, India
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_461049,00500005.htm

* * *