Update Nov. 19th. to "Houston, We Have A Problem!!"

Mornin' All,

How are we all doin' as this bright sunny day awakens on the west coast of Canada?

"The chemo is still workin' well" I shout, as we drink our Starbucks in preparation for "cycle" five of an agressive
chemotherapy...

See my updated schedule ... just scroll down
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters/040.html

Yesterday, during the mandatory Oncologist Consultation and Review with Dr. Kennecke, we looked at the first chest XRay
- latest chest XRay...

My XRay(s) continue to show some improvement each time!!

The "tumour mass" and "density" is reduced somewhat each time...

My "cancer" lung is almost fully inflated now vs. 80% collapsed at discovery...

The "fluid" still shows a little at the bottom of my left lung, but it is also reduced each time...

I don't feel any rasp, or fluid, any more at all, no matter how deeply I breathe, or how closely I attempt to "self
monitor"...

I'm not coughing at all these days, not at all, compared to months of nagging unexplained chronic cough pre-discovery
and subsequent diagnosis of lung cancer last July...

I don't experience the extreme "shortness of breath" that I did in July whilst climbing multiple flights of stairs with
a collapsed lung...

That said, I do avoid walking multiple flights in emergency mode... I've been off the emergency standby response team
since the first week of August...

I do continue to work though, (when I'm not in the Cancer Clinic for my chemo), and we continue to live much as we did
before...

Tues. we went to the NHL Hockey game, Vancouver's Canucks vs: the Habs (les Canadiens de Montréal) ...

GM Place is a scant 5 blocks from our downtown Yaletown condo, the Canucks won, in OT, and we walked home as usual,
with minimal problems...

My voice was a little hoarse from cheerin' but it's a far cry from early last August when I was experiencing difficulty
speakin' at all...

Does this mean I'm "outa the woods" ... Nope!!

Much Improved is GREAT Though and I'll take it in a heartbeat!

I have one small problem right now...

While the chemo has been very agressively attacking my cancer cells, it has also been hard on my immune system as
exhibited each cycle by the Lab Bloodwork results...

Specifically, my Red Blood Count and my Hemoglobin levels are getting too low...

The ability to maintain adequate oxygen transfer to my vital organs, and the ability to ward off disease via my immune
system, have reached the level where important decisions must be made regarding continuing any more chemotherapy...

The choices are:

1.) Discontinue a chemo that is still workin' on the cancer cells...

2.) Build up my blood cells, specifically the Red Blood Count, by taking Iron supplements and a drug, I believe "a
glycoprotein", which stimulates Red Blood Cell production, but takes time...

3.) Build up my blood cells, specifically the Red Blood Count, by having a Transfusion, 2 units of Red Blood Cells...
and continuing chemo as scheduled...

The discussion is very short...

Option 1.) is not an option, in my opinion...

Option 2.) involves yet another drug with an unknown "track record" of use with my Parkinson meds and there would an
unknown delay in my still workin' chemo until blood counts measureably recover...

Option 3.) involves the minimal known risks of any transfusion...

While I've never had a transfusion before, I was a blood donor for many years...

Perhaps it's time to take a little back...

We concur, I sign the consent forms, and it's off to the Lab once more for Blood Typing and Cross Matching...

Today I received my first transfusion, 2 units of type A Positive Red Blood Cells...

Thanks to the insistence of Gail and Brenda, I had a Bard Port implanted on Oct. 7th. and this venous access device in
my collar bone region makes IV chemo infusion and now, this transfusion a "walk in the park" both for the administering
nurse and myself...

I also had my chemo as scheduled...

Methinks Michael J. Fox is not the only "Lucky Man"...

In spite of everything, we continue to enjoy relatively good health overall, continue to work, albeit in a "modified to
suit" mode, and experience continued great quality of life...

I know we still have Parkinson's but, as Judith's pin says, Parkinson's does not have us"...

I know I also still have lung cancer as well, but it does not have ME!

I thank you all for your continued prayers and best wishes...

Remember... Smilin' is a CHOICE!!!

So do yer very best and keep on smilin'... I am!!

cheers ....... Chemo Savvy (murray)

* * *

read the rest of this thread... "Houston - We Have A Problem..."
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum71/HTML/008729.html
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum71/HTML/008729-2.html
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum71/HTML/008729-3.html

* * *