 Dear Barbara (and John),

 You, and the forum you provide, ARE appreciated.  Thank you.

 The (sometimes) silent Carole Hercun

Barbara Patterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I resent the word 'lurker'. Webster defines 'lurk' as: "to lie in wait
in a place of concealment esp. for an evil purpose" and its synonyms
as: "skulk, slink, sneak".

Surely, there must be a better term to identify those of us who do not
post messages to the list because 'lurker' does NOT fit. How about 'the
silent majority'. How about the fact that many of our members are not
physically able to type messages; or that many people don't feel the
need to contribute their 2 cents worth as often as others.

This list exists solely and completely for the support and sharing of
information about Parkinson's. Information on medications, surgeries,
research, political activisim, quality of life, and, most of all,
first-hand experience for all pwp's and their loved ones and
caregivers. There is no obligation to contribute. Those who do are
greatly appreciated for their time and effort (Murray, you're one!).
Those who do not, are also appreciated for their interest in the list
and for their interest in learning about Parkinson's in this unique
way. Some of us are born 'talkers'; some are born 'listeners'. There
is a need for both.

This list is unmoderated because John Cottingham and I feel it should be
open. Neither of us wishes to impose our viewpoints as the only
viewpoints which is what could (and does) happen on moderated lists.
Sort of 'toe the party line' and you're in' attitude. Well, that's not
us. We like freedom. We like openness. We only keep the focus
directed towards Parkinson's and avert/divert list wars. Other than
that, we are all adults who have an interest in Parkinson's and, having
read and understood and agreed to the list Charter, chose to join PIEN.

This topic pops up so regularly that it really does feel like 'deja vu
all over again'. :)

Concern about identities on the internet is valid. Just because I say I
am someone, doesn't necessarily make it true. Just as we don't
automatically accept that someone who knocks on our door asking for
help, donations, etc. is who he says he is. We take precautions. We
offer to make a phone call for them. We don't let them walk into our
homes. Giving out one's home phone number on the internet to prove
one's identity is not really the greatest idea. Some folks who make a
big deal of this consistently refuse to answer or return calls. What is
the point?

In case any one has any concerns about the Parkinsn Information Exchange
Network, and does not want to use email to contact me, my home phone
number is 905-627-1832. I will answer the calls. I do NOT advise
anyone else to post their home phone numbers in the interests of safety.

This message has covered many topics. Here's one more: To Margaret
Tuchman and the Parkinson Alliance, thank you very much for your prompt
and willing support. It makes us know we are appreciated.

Barbara Patterson
PIEN List Owner,