UK: Centre To Help Parkinson's Disease Sufferers Opened
Nov 27 2003

By Wendy Scott

A NEW centre for sufferers of a debilitating disease has opened its doors in Airdrie.

The Phoenix Cottages Activity Centre in Wellwynd, was officially opened by Lanarkshire's Lord Lieutenant Gibby Cox.

Parkinson's Self Help Group members and friends gathered to celebrate the opening of the new centre which is located in
the former Weavers' Cottages.

Three years ago Gartlea Community Centre, where the group met, was burned to the ground by vandals.

And Grace Croall, group chair and driving force behind the new centre, told the Advertiser: "When that happened I
always said we would have a new centre which would rise out of the ashes like a phoenix. And that's exactly what has
happened and we couldn't be happier."

The group moved to the Barn in Kirkwood and had an office in the Alexander Resource Centre in Coatbridge. But when
Grace heard about the Weaver's Cottages being available for rent she jumped at the chance.

She said: "Once I saw inside I knew it was the place for us but it needed a lot of work done on it."

The group carried out an 82,000 renovation programme turning it into a centre with a large reception area,
beauty/therapy room for health treatments, office, toilets and garden all with disabled access.

Although the centre is open activities for members won't begin until after Christmas.

Said Grace: "I am meeting with the health board to discuss what services they can provide for members - like
physiotherapists, speech and language therapy and other health topics which would benefit people.

"We have a lots of activities like ceramics, painting, games, darts and bowling and we plan to have our own bowling
area in the garden."

The group has over 100 members with about half regularly attending activities.

The group has two full-time workers, a part-time carer, trainer co-ordinator and caretaker.

Added Grace: "We're always looking for new members and the centre is open to other sufferers of debilitating conditions
like multiple sclerosis."

The group has retained its independence from the Parkinson's Disease Society and Grace says it will remain that way.

"We like our own autonomy and have control of the purse strings. We encouraged other groups in Cumbernauld and
Motherwell to do the same and they will be using our centre too so we all help each other out.

"The group would like to thank all the funders, North Lanarkshire Council and the Alexander Resource Centre for all
their help."

The centre is open Monday to Friday 9.30am-4.30pm.

Telehone 431775 for further details

SOURCE: The Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser
http://tinyurl.com/wtw8

* * *