Forwarded FROM:  Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation: Bridging the Gap
e-newsletter

"Watch CNN’s Paula Zahn Now, Friday, November 28th, 8:00 PM (EST) for

Christopher’s first full-length interview off the ventilator and more

coverage of the CRPF premier event, A Magical Evening.

"To breathe normally, to be able to smell ... anything that makes you
feel

more normal is psychologically so important,” stated Christopher Reeve

while breathing without the use of a ventilator. Christopher made his

first live public appearance without the ventilator at this year’s A

Magical Evening, CRPF’s annual gala fundraiser, held at the

Marriott-Marquis in New York City, Monday, November 24, 2003.

Christopher underwent minimally invasive surgery in February to implant a

device that provides electrical stimulation to the muscle and nerves that

run through the diaphragm. He explained the new techniques he had to
learn

while off the ventilator. When adapting to breathing while eating, he

joked that he had first choked on a piece of lettuce, then a piece of

tuna. “Had I had a slice of bread, I would have had a whole sandwich.”

“But the reason it’s important is not so much for the advancement it
makes

for me, but because it symbolizes everything we’re trying to do and that

is constantly move forward and take reasonable risks,” Christopher
stated.

He went on to explain that he pushes the boundaries of medical research
in

order for medical research to progress. “We as patients--and all of us at

the Foundation are thinking about patients, not only those with spinal

cord injuries, but every conceivable disease because now the research

crosses all the barriers--we’re thinking as aggressively as we possibly

can. We will not be complacent. We will not take no for an answer. If

someone says that they can’t do something, we want to know why and then
we

want to move the field forward as rapidly as possible….Thanks to your

support, thanks to your shared belief in our mission, it’s working. Now

we’re giving answers to people right after injury or those that have been

injured for many, many years. We now have a Quality of Life program

reaching more and more people we can help now  with jobs, accessibility,

and training.

“At this time of Thanksgiving, I’m very grateful … scientists are really

making progress. And we’re part of it. You hear on a daily basis about

things that aren’t working. But what is working now together are

scientists and the scientific community around the world, exchanging
ideas

and information….It’s your support of the Foundation that gives us the

impetus to push them along….We’re going forward very well now. We need

more help, we need you. It comes down to the compassion of people like

yourselves. I’m thankful you’ve joined us, stay with us, we’re going
great

places.”

If you have any questions, please call the Foundation at 973-379-2690.
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
500 Morris Avenue
Springfield, NJ
07081