Thanks Greg for alerting the list about this critical vote.There is  a
good background article from the Washington Post that further explains
the ramifications of this amendment - it is posted to the Coalition for
the Advancement of Medical Research website.
See:
http://www.camradvocacy.org/fastaction/news.asp?id=721

Also see CAMR's statement on the amendment:

Anti-Patent Legislation Could Cripple Medical Research
http://www.camradvocacy.org/fastaction/news.asp?id=723

The Weldon amendment was quietly  tacked onto the House version of the
2004 Appropriatons Bill back in July, and approved by the House without
debate, by a voice vote, and with little public disclosure. The Senate
has had no discussion about the amendment or its implications.  The
Weldon amendment would prohibit the Patent Trademark Office from issuing
"patents on claims directed to or encompassing a human organism."
The language is very general, terms are not defined  and could be
interpreted in a number of ways - and would likely be used to impede any
type of stem cell or therapeutic cloning research.

As Greg wrote -- Please contact the House conferees shown below and tell
them to vote NO on the Weldon amendment.
Linda Herman