Brig has had PD for 17 years, is now 64.  He was diagnosed at 47, worked for
7 years, driving 50 miles each to and from his job.   When he could no longer
do this, had to leave work with no pension, applied for diability at 54.  Long
story short, with doctors, denied,  and then a lawyer, it took all of our
life savings and more to finally win disability after 2 years, then the lawer
took 25% of the back money.  I worked with every congressman I could get a hold
of, and they could not influence the outcome, I only wanted another decision
quickly.  Finally, my rep. was able to speed things up or it would have been
more than two years.   I had to borrow money just to live, so I know what
disability is all about.
I started my advocacy when he started to apply for disability, there was no
where to go.  Thank God for Joan Samuelson, she brought a lot of us together
and we began to work for the Udall bill, most of you know the rest of the story.
Gerry Haines