At 06:23 AM 11/27/2003 -0800, Murray Charters wrote:
>Blood Could Generate Body Repair Kit
>19:00 26 November 03
>
>Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition
>
>A small company in London, UK, claims to have developed a technique that
>overturns scientific dogma and could
>revolutionise medicine. It says it can turn ordinary blood into cells
>capable of regenerating damaged or diseased
>tissues. This could transform the treatment of everything from heart
>disease to Parkinson's.
>
>If the company, TriStem, really can do what it says, there would be no
>need to bother with conventional stem cells,
>currently one of the hottest fields of research. But its astounding claims
>have been met with bemusement and disbelief
>by mainstream researchers.

-snip-

Murray, I can understand the academic community's hesitance to believe the
claims of TriStem, as it sounds as though they have the evergreen, ever
blooming plant that thrives in bright sunlight or darkness, in moisture and
in desert dry sand, producing tasty, edible fruit with high vitamin content
almost as fast as you pick it , and keeping the air around it fresh and
clean.  In other words, too good to be true.  If Dr.Abuljadayel's process
has been around since 1994, when the patent was applied for, you'd think
that someone in the scientific community would have put it through a test
in the past nine years.  On the other hand, if the TriStem technology
works, then why do we need to spend money to rally Congress regarding
embryonic stem cells?

I do not follow all of the links that you and others give, so perhaps this
has already been on the list.  But the TriStem web site links to a very
clear and understandable web site for explaining stem cells.  It does not
involve TriStem technology, so it is not biased in this manner.  I
recommend it heartily:

http://whyfiles.org/127stem_cell/2.html

There is also a link to the NIH primer on stem cells:

http://www.nih.gov/news/stemcell/primer.htm

Art