This news is fantastic, and for more reasons than the city's grant of
$4,000.00.  Fantastic in that there are 80 participants in the program.

Dallas Texas, has had a program with bi-weekly physical therapy sessions at
eight different locations around the city and its Northern Suburbs.  From a
metropolitan area (excluding Fort Worth) of possibly 2,000,000 people, they
have been able to draw only roughly this same number of participants each
week, despite the fact that this has been a long-standing program.

There are many reasons, it seems, that people with Parkinson's will not
attend exercise and physical therapy programs, even when they are free of
charge.  These reasons range from denial to physical incapability.  Many
people are still working and the sessions would be a conflict with working
hours.  Others have trouble getting transportation from their homes to the
exercise center.  But the biggest reason, I would posit, is that
neurologists treating people with Parkinson's do not adequately emphasize
the importance of structured exercise to their patients and they do not
direct their patients to where they can get it.

Funding for Parkinson's is spent in several different areas.  The most
ballyhooed of these is in research.  We want a cure - or at least we want a
reduction of the symptoms.  Major amounts of money go to medications, to
make our lives more liveable.  Education of the public about Parkinson's is
also important.  Precious little is left for physical therapy, which is
considered by many to be the key to long life for many PWP's.  But this
same exercise may be the key for keeping people alive and active until the
cure arrives.  But it won't help unless the people with Parkinson's
cooperate - and in Alison's case, it appears that a modestly good
proportion have.

So hats off to Alison, who is a member of this list, for a job well done.

Art