FWD: From CAMR (Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research

Urgent! Action Alert
The United Nations May Vote to Ban All Forms of Cloning Monday, December
8th
Take Action Now Email the General Assembly and Express Your Support for
Research:
On Monday, December 8th, the United Nations General Assembly may vote to
ban all forms of cloning, both reproductive and therapeutic. You may
recall a Committee of the UN voted on November 6th to set aside a vote on
cloning for two years to allow more deliberation and for scientifically
valid research to go forward.

The United States is one of the countries leading this effort to
reconsider the vote taken in committee, and is a prime sponsor of the
resolution that would ban both reproductive and therapeutic cloning
around the world.

Send an email to [log in to unmask] and tell the UN to ban reproductive
cloning but allow for therapeutic cloning. We are concerned about the
very real possibility that the UN will call for a worldwide ban on all
forms of cloning. Your input will help express the large number of
individuals who support cutting edge medical research to cure and
alleviate disease.

For your review, we have attached a letter sent to the General Assembly
from the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research.

Somatic cell nuclear transfer is about saving and improving lives. Go to
www.camradvocacy.org, and take action to support somatic cell nuclear
transfer. For your review, we have included a letter below that was sent
to the General Assembly from the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical
Research.

Make your support of SCNT known!!!!!

Members of the United Nations General Assembly

December 3, 2003

Your Excellency:

On behalf of the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research and
100 million Americans with life-threatening diseases and conditions, I
write to express our grave concern over a proposed ban on all forms of
human cloning, which would include therapeutic cloning for medical
research purposes. The Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research,
(CAMR) is a nationally-recognized U.S. based organization comprised of 80
leading patient groups, universities, and scientific societies. CAMR has
led the charge to support well-regulated U.S. federal funding of stem
cell research and the efforts opposing a U.S. ban on therapeutic cloning.

Our coalition is opposed to any resolutions which would support a global
ban on all forms of human cloning. Therapeutic cloning (more correctly
called somatic cell nuclear transfer or SCNT), is about saving and
improving lives. It is fundamentally different from human reproductive
cloning; SCNT produces stem cells, not babies.

While we supported the Belgian proposal for a ban on human reproductive
cloning only, we were heartened to see that the United Nations would,
with a two-year postponement of a cloning decision, give more thorough
consideration to this very complex medical research issue. We are
concerned therefore, that a vote on December 8th, without the benefit of
further discussion, is a serious mistake.

In SCNT, the nucleus of an unfertilized egg is removed and replaced with
the nucleus of a patients own cells, including skin, heart, and nerve
cells which are called somatic cells. The goal of SCNT is to develop stem
cells that will not be rejected or destroyed by the patients immune
system. It is critical to understand that no sperm is used in this
procedure. The cells are not transplanted into a womb. SCNT aims to treat
or cure patients by creating tailor-made, genetically identical stem
cells that their bodies wont reject. In other words, SCNT could allow
patients to be cured using their own DNA.

Attached is a listing of CAMR members. We would be pleased to offer our
scientists as experts that you may call upon for questions about
therapeutic cloning. Our goal is to ensure that an agreement can be
reached on a global treaty to ban human reproductive cloning, but still
allow scientists and researchers around the world to freely pursue
therapeutic cloning, within strict ethical guidelines, so that cures to
lifes most debilitating diseases can be found.

Please accept, Your Excellency, the assurances of my highest
consideration.

Yours truly,