At noon today, we meet at the Dundern Castle in Hamilton, Ontario, to
celebrate the tenth anniversary of the PARKINSN list - a celebration
postponed from last month because of Barbara Patterson's hospitalization at
that time.  Present were Barbara, her sister and brother-in-law, her
daughter, her son and daughter-in-law and two grandchildren.  Representing
the list were Linda and Ed Herman and Dollie and me.  Conspicuously absent
were Barbara's husband, John, and Judith and Alan Richards, all three of
whom had planned to come but called in on the day of the luncheon with
serious colds.  Feel better soon, guys!

Linda presented Barbara with a looseleaf binder which had notes of
appreciation from various of the listmembers.  If you meant to send a note
for Barbara and haven't yet,  please send it to Linda at
[log in to unmask]  Linda will prepare it for adding to he book.  Linda
also presented Barbara with a "Bracelet of Hope" from Alison Landes and the
organization which Alison heads, "Take Charge! Cure Parkinsons, Inc."  The
Bracelet, which is described on web page
http://www.cureparkinsons.org/bracelet.htm, will be a long-term reminder of
this day.  (Might I suggest it would be a wonderful thought for your
holiday giving too?)

I spoke briefly, and I commented that the attendance at the luncheon was a
tribute to Barbara, as the PARKINSN listmembers are far-flung throughout
the world and not limited to her corner of the globe.  Various people have
been aided in their careers because of their contributions to the list, and
so many others have learned from what others have experienced.  Alan
Bonander, for example, who died in 1996 will be remembered by the older
listmembers as the person who used the list to warn so many of us of the
toxicity of demerol when administered to a person who takes selegilene (or
deprenyl or eldepryl).  Even today the list serves to share solutions which
we have to various symptoms of our disease.

On behalf of all of you, we thanked Barbara for her efforts of founding the
list and of keeping it alive and useful for these past ten years.

Art