On 16 Dec 2003 at 5:28, Murray Charters wrote:

> I'm pretty certain this can happen... (one younger <40 fellow in our
> Support Group has had the operation here)
>
> 3. Globus Pallidal Stimulation. When a patient has already had a
> unilateral pallidotomy (pallidotomy on one side of the brain), but
> continues to have dyskinesias on both sides of the body, the surgeon
> may recommend stimulation of the globus pallidus with a deep brain
> stimulator. This is a conservative alternative to a bilateral
> pallidotomy (pallidotomy on both sides of the brain), which destroys
> brain tissue and risks the permanent impairment of cognition and
> language function.

The problem with performing DBS after a pallidotomy is that the brain
anatomy has been distorted (by the pallidotomy) and electrode placement (for
the DBS) may be made difficult or impossible.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555     FAX: 510-849-2557
<http://www.rafink.com/>
"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

Disclaimer:  That which is written in my e-mail is not to be
considered as "medical advice".  Such advice can only be
given after a formal, in-person, consultation between
doctor and patient.