Student's Charity Helps Parkinson's Research
Joseph Mallia

December 13, 2003

An East Northport charity founded by a high school student will hold its second annual fund-raising event Saturday
afternoon, benefiting Parkinson's disease research.

Hundreds of people showed up for a similar Hope for a Cure fund-raiser last year, so founder and president Matthew
DePace, 17, decided to hold another. It will take place from 4:30 to 7 p.m. in the street outside his parents' 11
Rockrose Lane home in East Northport. Donations will go toward Parkinson's research, said his brother, Thomas DePace,
18.

"We'll have a living nativity, sing-alongs, a 'magical bonfire' - the fire starts if people believe," Thomas DePace
said. "The whole night is centered around magic. We call it our Christmas Spectacular."

Those who can't show up can still donate by printing a donation form from the Web site http://www.hopeforacure.org
Matthew DePace, now a senior at John Glenn High School in Elmont, created the charity at age 16, after his
grandmother's death following a bout with lymphoma. He raised $2,000 this spring, $4,800 last year and $1,710 in 2001.

SOURCE: Newsday
http://tinyurl.com/z648

Reference:

Video Segment - News 12 Long Island (requires Real Player)
http://www.hopeforacure.org/news12.rm

* * *