Poet Draws Inspiration from Own Tribulations
By cheyenne martin - The Messenger

Carolyn Jackson had never written a poem before in her life, but when she read about a poetry contest with poetry.com,
she couldn't let the opportunity slip by.

"When I read about it, something said that I needed to write it," she said. "I had never written a poem before."

Jackson's first poem has been named as a finalist in the contest and Jackson gets a VIP pass to Disney World where she
will recite her poem. She also has the chance to win a cash prize of $1,000 to $10,000 and her poem will be published
in a book.

For a first-time poet, Jackson didn't have to look hard for inspiration.

"It just came to me and I wrote it down," she said.

Her poem is called "My Trials and Tribulations" and is about the first time she learned that she had Parkinson's
disease. It recounts the feelings she and her husband had while they were waiting to see the doctor and the flood of
questions that came after she was diagnosed.

"It's about how nervous I was in the waiting room," she said. "I thought it was something deadly. The first thing I
asked is, 'Can I die from this?'"

But Jackson's condition is easily controlled with medicine and support.

"My family is a big support," she said. "Especially my husband (Sammy)."

Jackson said her husband helps her stay calm and makes sure that she is on track with taking her medicine and following
doctor's orders.

But most of the credit, Jackson says, goes to God.

"Without God, you wouldn't be able to get through the things you need to get through," she said. "We tell our children
that you've got to put God first, then have faith in God and then comes your family. If you have God, faith and family,
you have everything you need."

SOURCE: Troy Messenger, AL
http://www.troymessenger.com/articles/2003/12/22/news/story04.txt

* * *