Hi Janet...thanks for "brain stormin' with me...

hi all

gail wrote:
> Do you know any Parkies who have taken Zanaflex?
> Zanaflex, generic name Tizanidine Hydrochloride is
> a very effective antispasmodic that is used for muscle
> spasticity in Multiple Sclerosis. Muscles tend to go
> into a tight  contraction and not relax.
==snip===
> Has anyone on the list heard of Parkies taking
> Zanaflex or Baclofen for this purpose and what was
> your experience?  Zanaflex would be great because
> it's fast acting, legs relax and tends to make you
> very sleepy!

is zanaflex indicated for parkinsonism?

* "parkinsonism" ?  no, for muscles in tight contraction...yes.

i understand that anti-spasmodics generally don't work
on pd but i would have to do some digging to confirm this

* this is prolly true "as a rule"...but we all are different...meds
only work 50 % [or so] anyway and placebos work almost that good !

has edna discussed this with her neuro?

* Not yet, appt Dec.29th..we plan to go prepared.

when did the 'house-roaming' start?

* It's been going on for some time and seems to be getting worse.

did her med cocktail recipe change around that time?

* no changes...times trudges on....

from my own point of view
polypharmacy holds much less appeal for me
than bumping up the sinemet

* I agree but she does not.....I advise, she decides.

(i have never taken any pd med (my choice)
other than sinemet and selegiline for 16 years = dx 1988)

but edna's symptoms seem a tad contradictory
in re stiffness vs restlessness vs cramps
and i would suggest digging into the causes of these symptoms
as a first step before adding to the
medication combination complication
scenario

* "not sleeping" her eyeballs are doing...the "legs becoming stiff
and then sore" and not being able to relax them, she describes as muscular.

The "house roaming at night" she describes as she's wide awake...she
shuffels to the kitchen to get a drink or snack...shuffels into the computer
room to play on the net.... meanwhile the awakens everyone in the house...
and becomes most unpopular !

can edna describe her symptoms in more detail?

* hey, be my guest... try to get a description for me!.
She's as difficult to pin down as a tail on a donkey at a child's birthday party !
You say when and I'll ask her to give you a call ! She if you can get a better
description !  I'll be grateful ! Dr Sigmund is not easy to deal with.

- would the term 'axial' movement apply here?

* nope, don't think so.

so that's me updated
and edna/gail interrogated
for now at least!

* well..updating's good
I don't feel interrogated
I still wanna know if anyone else has taken Zanaflex!

Gail Vass