Forwarded message:

From: "Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research"
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:48:32 GMT
Subject: CAMR End of Year Momentum

"Stem Cell Action Alert :
End of Year Momentum

"As the Congressional Year Comes To A Close CAMR Would Like To Thank You
For Your Action and Update You On A Few Recent Events.

Just recently, we had two major victories, one at the state level in New
Jersey and another at the global level in the United Nations. These
victories represent significant victories in our on-going efforts to
advance progressive medical research--research that can save lives;
research we have been promoting for over two years.

With the stalemate in the Senate, it appears that much of the stem cell
research-related legislation will be moving to the state level and not in
the federal government. With your help, New Jersey passed A-2840, The
Stem Cell Research Act, a bill that permits human embryonic stem cell
research and therapeutic cloning applications in New Jersey. Governor
James McGreevey will sign this bill Sunday, January 4, 2004. We expect
2004 will have many states considering legislation on therapeutic cloning
and we will contact you for help.

Another front on the cloning debate is in the United Nations, where the
vote on a Costa Rican-sponsored and US-backed resolution for a total ban
on cloning was recently delayed for a year. While this was a positive
step, we will need your participation to educate members of the UN next
year.

Additionally, CAMR sent a questionnaire to the major presidential
candidates regarding embryonic stem cell research and somatic cell
nuclear transfer (SCNT). The questionnaire and responses are now posted
on the website www.camradvocacy.org . You can help make stem cell
research a major issue in the 2004 Election by contacting your local
media through the CAMR website.

CAMR thanks YOU for your action throughout the past year! Every victory
we have had is largely due to grassroots support. We hope to continue our
momentum into 2004 and look forward to your continued involvement!

Have a safe and enjoyable Holiday Season."

For more information, please visit our Web site, www.camradvocacy.org.