Wendy, this is probably not a practical suggestion--but Noble prize winner
John C. Polanyi (retired professor of chemistry at UT) would be fantastic
(I use some of the short pieces on his website with my first-year students).
But I'm guessing that Noble prize winners are expensive--and busy.  Good
luck--keep us posted on the person you do finally choose!  Betsy