As a follow-up to Roger's and Rob's observations, I thought I would describe three
different types of experiences that I've had orchestrating "real-world" writing
experiences for students in courses I've taught. The first involves a
grant-writing course I teach here at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee which
focuses on writing grant proposals for non-profit organizations.  In addition to
our 2 1/2-hour weekly class where we look at the literature, practices, and lore
of grant-proposal writing (and this includes visits from expert grant writers
[grant-seekers] and from a program officer for a foundation [a grant-giver]), each
student works with a local non-profit organization for, on average, two hours a
week (ideally in collaboration with a mentor) to research and produce an actual
grant proposal for a program the organization is seeking funding for.

The second type of experience is an internship class I taught at Purdue for
seniors in our Professional Writing Program.  In addition to a weekly seminar,
each student spent 10-20 hours a week in an organization--campus, private-sector,
or non-profit--producing print or electronic documents.  The last type of
experience I've had is with organizing "service-learning" placements for students
in Professional Writing courses I've taught at Purdue and UWM.  Here I would place
each student (or in some cases a small group of collaborating students) in an
organization--with non-profit organizations being the most frequent hosts--with
the assignment of spending time in the organization to produce a particular
document.  (As far as I know, this kind of "service learning" is much more common
in the U.S. than in Canada.)

Based on these experiences, I would certainly agree with Roger and Rob that they
can provide students with  "real" rhetorical situation and "game-day" conditions.
But I have a hunch that Russ would agree with this as well.

Graham

--
Graham Smart