It seems there are three main areas of reality/unreality, maybe four up for
debate:  genre; audience/client; editorial or supervisory review; evaluation.
Traditional academic essays can down play audience and stick to a certain
academic-like while emphasizing the evaluation of the Prof./TA.  Case study or
experiential assignments in the academy can emphasize audience/client
negotiation and editorial review.

Of course, this is an oversimplification which denies shifts in pedagogy.  But
it may relate to the "difference" between the two "realities" that is used in
common parlance.  It may also, as Theresa points out be something some of us
wish to argue against.

Also, I like Theresa's point about academic writing hopefully challenging
assumptions, knowledge, and "reality".  As Theresa points out writing's value is
presumed to relate to it's "real world" market value, i.e. certain genres have
efficacy in market economies.  The academic essay, for those not initiated in
the academy, seems to have less efficacy.  Of course, this is another "real"
fallacy given the importance of essays for careers, and for knowledge
construction which under girds so much of market economies, and particularly
knowledge based market economies.

When we talk of writing in order to think in new ways aren't we talking about
knowledge construction?  Doesn't our research and education promote knowledge
construction which both has "real" world "market economy" efficacy and other
kinds of efficacy, also?

Victoria Littman, Ph.D.
Learning Strategist
Accessibility Services