Re "not real",  my understanding about the concept is that it is simply a
metaphorical and colloquial term that people often use.  Not necessarily we
often become serious about it, or do we take it literally.  We know what is
real and what is not.  You gotta see who says it and what the context is.
Reality of one context not necessarily the reality of another.  For students
(e.g., undergraduates), many often think I gotta get a good job; I wanna
live well; therefore, that destination is the "real world" for those
students.  This is just one slice of the pie.  Another could be that,
students finishing Ph.D. and aiming to work in a university, for them that
university is the "real world" (and in this case it happens to be From a
university To a university).  tom