At 09:47 PM 16/01/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Perhaps, we could agree that any type of writing is real to the person
>who writes it and to the person who receives it as a reader.
>
>--
>Natasha Artemeva

Hi Natasha and All,

I don't post often here, but did feel called upon to reply about the "real
workplace writing" vs. "unreal school assignments" discussion.

First of all when one is a student, their primary job is to be a student.
Thus, it would make sense that part of their job description is to learn
how to write academically. Yes/No?

Secondly, I find that in the rush to get students streamlined towards the
workplace, the craft of writing is given short shrift. The professor and/or
the students spend a lot of time finding and making contacts with business
professionals to the extend that there's not much time to rework drafts and
polish texts. Everything is all about context and not about how to simply
find pleasure in writing, in writing something better. A well made thing
can given one a lot of satisfaction, and somehow I think this is overlook.
A well-put together essay, a well-written report, in and of itself, can be
pleasurable.

In some senses, it matters little what you write, as long as you keep
writing and reading. More importantly perhaps, is to develop a passion for
these two things. Also there are structural components that one can find in
almost any sort of text, such as beginnings, middles, ends, the paragraph,
the sentence. If one focuses in on how to better craft these elements that
expertise can be carry over into all sort of genres--academic, or workplace
driven.

Thirdly,  I think most of our students can look forward to a life-time of
reading nothing but memos and business reports--a somewhat dreary prospect.
Yes/No? Shouldn't the few precious years at university be a time for them
to luxuriate in something more pleasurable, more critically and creatively
thought-provoking?  Best, Charlotte Hussey