MEMORY COMPUTER
Join Sara Burget Weeknights At 5:00pm For The Latest In Medical News!

THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY IS NOT A VIDEO GAME OR A UNIFORM -- BUT IT IS SOMETHING YOU CAN WEAR TO REMEMBER THAT PERSON'S
NAME.

Rich Duvaul, MIT Inventor, "I've been looking at memory support for a number of years now, because I'm kind of
forgetful myself."

IN THIS MIT LAB, RICH DUVAUL DESIGNED A WEARABLE COMPUTER FOR THE BRAIN SAY YOU CAN'T REMEMBER NAMES.

Rich Duvaul, MIT Inventor, "My wearable has the ability to recognize people."

USING FACE RECOGNITION, THEIR CELL PHONE OR PDA. THE MATCHING NAME IS THEN FLASHED ON THIS TINY SCREEN ATTACHED TO THE
WEARER'S GLASSES. BUT GET THIS, YOU DON'T ACTUALLY READ THE NAME.

Rich Duvaul, MIT Inventor, "It's so brief, you can't consciously perceive it."

IT'S ALSO HIDDEN IN A TINY MATRIX, SO IT'S LESS DISRUPTIVE AND WON'T THROW YOU OFF IF WRONG.

CAN'T REMEMBER YOUR GROCERY LIST?

Rich Duvaul, MIT Inventor, "Maybe once a second you would get another ingredient, flashed for about six milliseconds.
That's six thousandths of a second."

THERE IS AN EARLY STAGE PROTOTYPE. SO IT'S FAR FROM WHAT WOULD BE MARKETED FOR GENERAL USE. IN FACT, RICH ENVISIONS YOU
CAN EVENTUALLY INPUT INFORMATION USING SOMETHING LIKE YOUR CELL PHONE OR PDA.

HE ORIGINALLY DESIGNED THIS FOR PARKINSON'S PATIENTS, BUT REALIZED ANYONE COULD USE IT.

Rich Duvaul, MIT Inventor, "This is where the information is stored. This is where it's presented and this is how I
interact with the computer."

IN A STUDY, MEMORY WAS IMPROVED BY ONE AND A HALF TIMES. WHEN IT FINALLY GOES TO MARKET, THE ENTIRE DEVICE WILL BE A
LOT SMALLER.

HERE'S ANOTHER BENEFIT. THE SYSTEM NOT ONLY BOOSTS YOUR MEMORY, IT ACTUALLY HELPS IMPROVE IT, KIND OF LIKE USING FLASH
CARDS.

SOURCE: WJACTV.com
http://www.wjactv.com/health/2731933/detail.html

Reference:

PARREHA and Wearable Computers
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum71/HTML/008159.html

Memory Glasses' Offer Wearer Total Recall
http://tinyurl.com/22n3z

Making Computers Wearable
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/ccg/iswc03/tutorials.html

* * *