Audrey
The link won't show up unless you register, so I did.  This may not be news
for some (GDNF pump), but just in case, I have tried to copy the article:

 New treatment for Parkinson's shows promise
05:52 PM PST on Friday, January 2, 2004

By JEAN ENERSEN / KING 5 News

PORTLAND, Ore. - As many as one million Americans have Parkinson's disease.
There are several treatment options, but they also come with side effects.
Now doctors in Portland may now have found a way to not only treat the
symptoms - but also reverse the disease.

Fourteen years ago, Greg Moore was diagnosed with Parkinson's. Medication
can only do so much.

"Turning over in bed is very difficult for me to do," said Moore. "Going
through a stack of papers is a very difficult thing to do."

Two months ago, Greg became the first person in the U.S. to join an
experimental study.

Dr. Kim Burchiel placed two catheters under Greg's skin that run down his
chest and attach to pumps implanted in his abdomen. Some patients will get a
placebo. For others, it's a substance called glial derived neurotrophic
factor or GDNF.

"In animal models, GDNF seems to be very good at reversing or - I don't want
to use the word cure - but correcting Parkinsonism," said Dr. John G. Nutt,
a neurologist at Oregon Health & Science University.

The drug seems to coax dying dopamine nerve cells back into production. In a
small trial in England, patients reported dramatic improvement.

"They got to the point where they were having much less problems with their
Parkinsonism," said Nutt. "Some have reduced their drugs markedly as well."

Greg is hopeful he's getting the real drug.

The trial will last six months, and involves only 35 patients worldwide.
- - - - -

Thanks for sharing with us.

Peggy

New treatment for Parkinson's shows promise