Hi Susan,
  I cannot answer you about US insurance scheme( I now live in France)
but you should be able to join an international company which will
insure you anywhere in the world. The 'Revue Suisse' which is
distributed to the swiss abroad ( I am one) has a few adverts. John , my
british partner with PD, belonged for a time to International health
Insurance from Denmark .Not cheap but nor is swiss insurance...They were
good but now he has joined the french scheme.
Here are some addresses from the 'Revue':
www.IHI.DK
www.siphealth.com
www.ihp.ch
www.asn.ch