hi,

my father is 57 years of age and has been suffering from parkinson's disease
for the past 25 years.
he has offlate started hallucinating.he sees men,women even children during
night.
though his mind has been alert and his memory intact this is something new
even to him.
he has never experienced such 'nightmares' earlier.

he used to talk in his sleep but he didn't remeber it the next morning.
but these hallucinations have given him much trouble in the last month or
so.

Can any of you please suggest as to how I can help him?

I found the following on the net :
=================
Clozapine prevents recurrence of psychosis in Parkinson's disease.

Factor SA, Brown D.

Department of Neurology, Albany Medical College, NY 12208.

Psychosis secondary to dopaminergic therapy can limit the ability to manage
motor symptoms of advanced Parkinson's disease (PD). We report the results
of an open label 3-month trial that evaluated the antipsychotic effects of
clozapine in eight PD patients with drug-induced psychosis. Response was
quantified using a simplified brief psychiatric rating scale and two PD
scales. Clozapine significantly improved psychiatric scores at low doses.
The use of every other day regimens (not previously utilized) led to good
control of symptoms and minimized side effects. Clozapine also had a
positive sleep effect in four patients and improved dyskinesia in one.
Finally, this treatment prevented recurrence of psychosis while levodopa
doses were significantly increased and while other antiparkinsonian
medications were added. Motor disability related to PD improved as a result
of these treatment adjustments. We conclude that clozapine is effective in
treating drug-induced psychosis in PD and allows for safe optimization of
antiparkinsonian therapy.

PMID: 1350059 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Please help.

rgds,
himanshu