We applied as soon as my wife had to leave her job March 2002.  We were
approved on the first try.  We received disability in the shortest time
possible.  We did not use a lawyer.

What we did was carefully and truthfully document her condition and provide
answers to the questions on the form in a short but accurate fashion.  We
were called by a very helpful SS caseworker.  I explained to her that my
wife could not be interviewed but I could answer the questions at the
prearranged phone interview.  I was prepared with accurate truthful
unembellished answers.  It was an unexpected easily handled process.

Most information to do this is very accurately represented on the SS
website.

I can understand the need for lawyers in some instances and some peoples
lack of confidence.  The fees charged by lawyers to assist in this process
are regulated by federal law.  They are reasonable.  Prior to selecting any
firm to represent you please check the regulations on the SS web site and
make sure you are not charged more than the amount allowed by law.  There
are firms out there that specialize in this and they are good.

Choice is up to you.  Our experience without a lawyer was a good one.

Plan, prepare be confident... succeed.

Good luck

Frank cg. Teri 52/47/40 15024