Dear CJ,
Sounds like your friend needs a lesson in "how bad things can be in the
world outside PD." Having Parkinson's is not the worst thing to have. It is
no fun either. But at least one has a chance to "see" things coming. Visit
friends and rearrange one's life. Not so, with terminal diseases such as
cancer  or  a child who has been desperately waited for to only die at 12 or
sooner from  a rare disease.
Your friend has lots of things in life to be thankful for if only its seeing
the sunrise for another day.
Try showing your friend some of the misery outside of her world so they can
see just how "lucky" she is to have PD and to make the most of her life
instead of being depressed and full of self pity.
If your friend lives alone , see if she can have a pet. A little
responsibility everyday is really good therapy.
Getting your friend out to places is great as well as just being their for
her. Try and get her to see herself as just another person with a handicap
not a disabling disease. This little bit of illusion helps one get through
tons of explanations with the ignoramuses of the world.
Remember, Parky's generally are a step behind in thought reactions as well
as walking. If need be, slow down the pace  of a conversation. Learn to take
a breath so she doesnt feel pressured to reply . This way she may be more
relaxed and less depressed about conversing and just doing things. Her mind
may be whirling to answer you but she just cant get it together to answer so
give her the time to do so if necessary. I wouldnt worry so much about
saying the right thing. Your'e there arent you? Sometimes a smile as a
response is all that is needed. Your friendship is important to her too.
Depression is easy to get into but with understanding of PD and getting busy
and staying busy it is harder to slip into on a regular basis.
I wish you luck in getting her out of her depression episodes and on with
life. My dog keeps me going out the door at least four times a day just for
him.      Rob