  I fully agree with Greg.  It is unfortunate that politics brings in the
aspect of what sometimes is confused with bashing.  We as a group should
learn to call it for what it is.  Total banning of stem cell research is
unethical  and discompassionate for the fellow human beings like us who are
suffering.  How come these do gooders cannot understand that?  Often they
talk like they are protecting the God!  "By interfering with the embryonic
stem cells, scientists want to play God!," they say. But, they are unwilling
to ban human cloning now, upon which everybody agrees.  They would rather
wait and ban stem cell research completely (sometime next year) instead of
banning the reproductive cloning now and letting the thereapeutic cloning
research to proceed.
  This approach has given rise to crackpots like "somebody" implanting
cloned human embryos on surragate mother.  (The news I posted a couple of
days ago!)  Also there is some news on this issue in the current issue of
the J Clinical Investigation.  I some times wonder if this is done by
design, so that when people do irresponsible things, then they can site this
as an excuse to ban stem cell research completely!

  Raj