hi all

as barb patterson posted to the pd listserv
yesterday:
> The phone rang here this evening.  It was John
> Rutherford, Anne's husband with the sad news
> that Anne died on Jan. 11, 2004.  She had had
> a heart attack on December 18, 2003; last
> Sunday she had another and died.  Anne was
> a truly good person and a wonderful friend
> to me, to our list, and to others with Parkinson's.
> She was determined, motivated, dedicated and
> funny.  She worked far too long and too hard
> for the benefit of pwp.  Anne was one of the
> best and will be sorely missed.  I miss her.
>
> Here is her obituary taken from
> the Toronto Globe and Mail:
>
> RUTHERFORD, Anne Elizabeth (Hethrington)
> (of St. John's, Newfoundland,
> formerly of Toronto and Montreal)
> Died at Toronto Western Hospital on Sunday,
> January 11, 2004, in her 70th year. Beloved
> wife of John H. Rutherford. Anne, enabled
> and supported by John, made the most of her
> life as she worked through her 25-year battle
> with Parkinson's. Her many volunteer services
> to her community and the Parkinson Society
> were justly rewarded, culminating in receiving
> the Governor General's Caring Canadian Award
> in November 2003. Dearly loved mother of
> Margaret Rutherford (Dean Van Hooydonk) of
> Toronto and Dr. Patricia Rutherford (Michael
> Mercier) of Hamilton. Loved Granny of Graham
> Mercier. Also survived by her brother John W.
> Hethrington and his wife Carol of Thornbury,
> sister Ruth Kitchen and her husband Howard of
> Mississauga, and their families. Anne was the
> daughter of the late Dr. Hagar and Edith Mary
> Webster Hethrington. Loved and admired for
> her intelligence, courage and spirit, Anne
> will always be sadly missed by her family
> and her many friends and associates. The
> family will receive friends at the
> HUMPHREY FUNERAL HOME-A.W. MILES CHAPEL,
> 1403 Bayview Avenue (South of Eglinton Ave E),
> from 5-8 p.m. on Wednesday, January 14th.
> Funeral service in the chapel on
> Thursday, January 15th at one o'clock.
> Interment of cremated remains at
> Thornbury Clarksburg Union Cemetery.
> A memorial service will be held in
> St. John's, Newfoundland at a later date.
> If desired, donations to the
> Parkinson Society of Canada,
> 4211 Yonge Street, Suite 316,
> Toronto, Ontario  M2P 2A9 Canada,
> or the charity of your choice
> would be appreciated by the family.
>
> Barb

thank you barb for letting us know about anne

she inspired me
and she made me laugh
and she made me crack jokes to make her laugh back
between chuckles we talked
about being two ontarian landlubbers each relocated to a small island
(her newfoundland vs my bermuda)
about how to calculate the number of parkies on such an island
about how it was time i learned how to telnet
about how 1988 was a powerful parky year for both of us
(my intro to pd and her intro to pd advocacy)
about how important pd organisations are to parkies
about how she lost her dear friend to that god damned cbgd disease
about how wondrous grandchildren are
about how luminous being here is

here's a quote of hers which i posted to the listserv: