Joan:
It is my understanding that stemcells are available essentially at any
"age". When I say age I do not know when to start counting. But embryonic
stem cells are less mature than Cord cells. Stem cells can even be obtained
from adults. There seems to an optimum age for these cells. At some point ,
after the embryo forms, the cells are the most flexible on how they can
develop. As they get older they become less and less flexible. So embryonic
cells are the most flexible (in terms of how they can be steered into what
they can develop into). The cord cells are less flexible.

This is a current research topic and there are opinions which put embryonic
cell on the par with Cord cells. The opinions are partly colored by
political, ethical and religious opinions and the present knowledge of the
differences is probably not scientifically rigorous.

K. F. Etzold CG Carline

                      Joan E Snyder
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      >                           cc:
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  please help us to understand...
                      "Parkinson's
                      Information Exchange
                      Network"
                      toronto.ca>

                      01/20/04 06:21 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "Parkinson's
                      Information Exchange
                      Network"

hello. i need help please. i am asking anyone and everyone on this list,
not for their opinion (i'm sure that everyone has one--but i need
straight talk and medical research) to help me to understand the
differnece between embroyonic stem cells and cord blood stem cells. is
one supurior to the other...is one completely without merit when it
comes to possibily curing neurological disorders and is one completely
sure to hold the "cure?" i am asking because i need to know this
informationl. Dr. Barglow, Raj, Dr. Etzold or Dr. Fink: anyone care to
take this on??

--

Joan E. Blessington Snyder       51/13
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm