On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:30:02 -0500 Jeff Bayard <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>  Where is there more success, adult or embryonic stem cells?
> I have read and heard that adult stem cell research has the most
> success, and should be receiving more $$$.
>
> Jeff

According to many scientists it will take considerably more research on
both embryonic and adult stem cells to know which type might produce the
best results for treating different diseases. Research into both types
helps further understanding of how stem cells work and how they could
best be applied as therapies.

Dr. Catherine Verfaillie of the University of Minnesota  was the first to
identify an adult stem cell found in mice bone marrow  that could grow
into other cell types, including blood, brain, muscle, lung and liver.
After her study was published in Nature in June 2002, she was interviewed
on NPR's Talk of the Nation (June 21, 2002), adn was asked:

 "  Dr. Verfaillie, do you think that one kind of stem cell is going to
win out over the other, embryonic vs. adult?  Or you think we equally
need to still look at both of them?"
Her reply:

   Dr. VERFAILLIE: I'm really convinced that we need to look at both of
them.
You know, we're obviously excited about what we have, but that's--you
know, like
I said, you know, there are differences between the cells, so it's quite
possible that down the line we can't really induce one cell to all the
cell
types with a great efficiency, and the other cell is better at it.  You
know, so
I think it might turn out that some cells will be useful for one type of
disease
and other cells for another disease, but I also think that, you know, we
cross-fertilize, and it's such early times for both cell types that I
think it's
way too early to say that we should give up one for the other at this
point in
time."
(NPR transcript)

In September 2003 her research team reported that for the first time,
they had induced  adult bone marrow stem cells to differentiate into
cells of the midbrain , suggesting "that adult
bone-marrow-derived stem cells may one day be useful for treating
diseases of
the central nervous system, including Parkinson disease."

Yet, Dr. Verfaillie again stated:

 "Again, while adult stem cells hold great promise, side-by-side
comparison of adult and embryonic stem cells must be done to determine
which stem cells are most useful in treating a particular disease,"
(Health & Medicine Week,  September 8, 2003)

Linda