Greg hit the nail on the head when he wrote:

>It is advocacy in DC and the statehouses, fundraising across the country,
>and raising the awareness level of this once moribund community that has
>accomplished this. It is politics pure and simple.
>
>We need more politics, not less.

 And I agree with Linda  and Paula and would like to add:

Politics has everything to do with finding the cure for PD!

Forums like this make us all aware of what is needed and why it's needed.

It didn't take me long after my sister was diagnosed with Parkinson's [8 years
ago] to see that my part in caregiving was a duel  role.  Aiding her in the NOW
with doctors, medications, symptoms, teaching and coping and fighting for her
future.... so that she will have one.

Starting from the Udall Bill fight in my state capitol, to participation in PAN and
supporting the work of the forums, to knocking on Senators doors in Washington,
DC.and telling my sister's story.  Then there are the letter campaigns to the
politicians and phone campaigns for their votes, to fund  raising and handing out
tulip pins  and  most recently to joining Murray Charter's "Figidy Feet Walkers" in
the New  York City's Central Park Parkinson's Unity Walk as a sponsored team walker
to raise awareness and research dollars .... it's all been political... and all
that awareness of need  and motivation to do something has come from forums
like this one.

Respectfully,
Gail Vass