Frank:
I too have noticed that the discussion has been free of name-calling
lately, and it is great! People will be more open to information that is
communicated in this way than they are to heated posts based on
opinions.

Your suggestion about adding a loved one's name is an excellent way to
self-police our posts. It is easy to get caught up in the moment when
writing about something you feel strongly about.

Frank, I am always impressed by the thought you put into your posts! We
have many (though not all) common beliefs. One of the things you mention
is animals - I am an animal lover and I am appalled at the torture that
goes on in the name of research. We like to claim that animals are not
enough like us to worry about their suffering, but in the same breath
claim that they are enough like us that we can learn from research on
them. That is not always true. We would not have aspirin today if it had
been tested on cats - aspirin is toxic to cats. There are other valuable
meds that kill animals, yet work beautifully on humans.

I don't buy the argument that animal experimentation it is ok because
humans are a "higher, more intelligent" life form. If you buy that
logic, then you should be willing to donate your body for research to
benefit aliens if a "higher, more intelligent" life form ever visits out
planet. By the way, that was the "logic" used by Hitler to experiment on
Jews. Also, by that logic, could MENSA members experiment on people who
have mental retardation, or perhaps use them for body parts? (I am
merely making a point here, not advocating this - please don't be think
I am promoting this sort of thing!)

Don't get me wrong - I know that some animal research has benefited
humans, as did Hitler's research. I guess it is just a question of
whether the ends justify the means, and the answer to that question will
be different for each person depending on his/her own ethical beliefs.

As for me, I understand the desire for and need for research to benefit
humans, especially when we or someone we love deeply is in need, but
what I don't understand is causing pain and suffering to innocent beings
and taking lives to benefit other lives, whether the forfeited lives be
human (natural or cloned), or animal.

Wendy