this is what was written by a Peoria Journal Star reporter:

"By JODI POSPESCHIL
of the Journal Star
MACOMB - Andrea Lane Zinga kicked off her congressional campaign
Wednesday, saying in her hometown that 22-year incumbent Lane Evans has
failed to protect good jobs for others and lacks the health to do his
own.
Zinga said Evans' battle with Parkinson's disease is making it
increasingly difficult for him to represent the 17th District.
"His health doesn't permit it," she said. "He just can't do the job, and
we're suffering mightily. If we feel for him, then we do not re-elect
him."
"That's ridiculous," said Steve Vetzner, Evans' press secretary. "It
doesn't prevent him from doing his job. He may not run as fast as he
used to, but he knows what direction he's going. He still has the same
drive and ability to do his job."
Zinga, 54, of Milan is unopposed for the Republican nomination in the
race.
A graduate of Macomb High School, Zinga worked at a Macomb radio station
before becoming a member of the media in the Quad Cities and eventually
at CNN in Atlanta.
Zinga said Evans, D-Rock Island, has allowed good jobs to slip away from
the area. She said he promisted 22 years ago to work day and night to
reopen the International Harvester plant in Canton.
"If he hasn't been able to do anything that he set out to accomplish,
then two more years isn't going to make any difference," she said. "The
entire time Lane Evans has been our congressman has been a litany of one
major high-wage employer after another leaving the 17th District."
Vetzner said Evans has helped retain jobs in the district. As an
example, he said Evans played a role in convincing Carharrt, a clothing
company, not to leave Galesburg.
NAFTA, which Evans opposed, is partly to blame for a loss of
manufacturing jobs nationwide to countries such as Mexico, Vetzner said.
"He has opposed trade laws that have taken jobs away," Vetzner said. "We
need to change those trade laws and keep jobs here."
Zinga also made stops Wednesday in Quincy, Springfield and Decatur. She
plans stops today in Canton, Galesburg and the Quad Cities."

and here is my letter to the editor:

Dear Andrea Lane Zinga: I would like you to know that I have no objection to you entering a race against Lane Evans...however, I DO take tremendous offence at your statements about the Congressman's health causing him  not to be able to do his job in Washington, DC for the 17th district.

I know Lane Evans and I know his Parkinson's disease as only another
person with Parkinson's can know. I might not agree with every single
vote he has cast but I know him to be a man of integrity, vision, hope
and I am completely confident in his ability to do his job.

I have had Parkinson's disease for over 14 years; I too, was diagnosed
at an early age (39). They call PD the "snowflake disease" with good
reason and that reason is that no two people with Parkinson's are
exactly the same-they do not have the same symptoms, reaction to
medicine, the same rate of progression nor the same severity of
symptoms. While I am completely disabled, in part because of a botched
pallidotomy, and I am unable to work because of this disease, DO NOT FOR
A MOMENT suspect that just because Lane has trouble speaking or running
like he used to, that his brain or thought patterns are in any way
compromised. His brain is doing just fine, thank you, although his body
is not.

Now, I will tell you that PD affects the voice, short term memory, and
cognitive skills but when you have surrounded yourself with a staff of
the highest quality and rare commitment to their boss, these things can
be readily overcome. I don't have the staff that Lane has but I can tell
you in no uncertain terms that I can do the mental work of 4 healthy
people-in my own time and in my own way. I dare you to find one person
with Parkinson's disease who is not an over-achiever.

Now, Ms. Zinga, if you plan to wage a fair campaign, then more power to
you BUT if you continue to play the "ability" card, be prepared for
vigorous support from the many people with disabilities who think that
Lane Evans is doing a very creditable job.

                                               Sincerely,

                                           Joan Blessington Snyder

--
Joan E. Blessington Snyder       51/13