Magnetic Stimulation for Parkinson's

 January 30, 2004

BETHESDA, Md. (Ivanhoe Newswire) -- In the United States, more than 1 million Americans have Parkinson's disease. It is
a neurological condition that can cause slowness and instability, but a new type of therapy can improve both of these
problems.

Larry Criner not only takes nature walks for pleasure, he's made a life out of capturing nature on film. "For me, it's
a place where I can come and find quietude," he tells Ivanhoe. For nearly 15 years, Criner has dealt with Parkinson's
disease. He says, "It affects me. It really does. I mean this is a disease of the brain, of the mind, and it plays very
big games on your head."

Criner recently joined a new study with neurologist Mikhail Lomarev, Ph.D., M.D. He's testing TMS. "We think that TMS --
 that's the abbreviation for transcranial magnetic stimulation -- that TMS makes patients' brains more sensitive to the
medication he or she is already taking," says Dr. Lomarev, of National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md.

A pulse of induced electrical current targets areas of the brain that control movement. Dr. Lomarev says: "Our goal is
to improve stiffness in patients. To make them move faster than they did it before, without magnetic stimulation."

They have achieved that, but results have been short-lived. Criner doesn't know yet whether this will help him long-
term. Until then, he's optimistic and will continue to do what he can.

This therapy has been tested and used in depressed patients for more than a decade. Doctors say the study with
Parkinson's patients will likely continue for several years.

This article was reported by Ivanhoe.com, who offers Medical Alerts by e-mail every day of the week. To subscribe, go
to: http://www.ivanhoe.com/newsalert/

If you would like more information, please contact:

Paul Girolami
Office of Communications and Public Liaison
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
(301) 496-5751

SOURCE: Ivanhoe Newswire / HealthCentral.com
http://www.healthcentral.com/news/NewsFullText.cfm?id=8007844

* * *