         Yup, definitely counterproductive. Henry.  Bujt it did allow the
Dean to use the money that was funding the Writing Centre to help fund the
writing intensive program.  The writing people here did generally support
the writing intensive program (which is still not fully fledged, so a lot
of students have been falling into the gap between the missing writing
centre and the not-yet-full-size writing-intensive program.

         The Writing Centre was a casualty of our huge faction fight--now
fully in the past.  One faction, the one supported by the Dean, saw Writing
as the enemy--I'm not sure "rationale" applies--and was happy when the Dean
moved it out of English and into his office, where it remained closed until
its replacement with the writing-intensive program .  That was when Janet
left us for UBC, where she has been very successful (associate chair,
graduate chair, and lots of grad students.)  The details can/should wait
until Inkshed (which I am planning to attend).

Rick