I have to say I don't find this entirely convincing as an explanation,
given the wording that Jim has quoted..... I'm not doubting the
existence of mock-saints (though I haven't seen one in this kind of
context so far), just that this is a reference to one....

I am eager to see the actual account book on this one!

AAY

--
Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English
Drama/