(  Murray may have posted this already)
National) Feb. 2, 2004 - A steady hand may not seem like much,
but for 63-year-old David Donahoe it's a blessing, as well as
tribute to high tech medicine. David has Parkinson's Disease.

The degenerative nervous system disorder causes debilitating
tremors, robbing David of much of his independence, "I had a
tremor, and it was worse and worse and worse over time"

So, he came to San Francisco's VA Medical Center, where during
clinical trials he was one of the first to have a new type of
stimulation device implanted in his brain.

Dr. William Marks, the director of the Parkinson's Disease
Center, says the FDA has just approved the device, "We now
have the ability in the US to use a device that uses just
one stimulator to stimulate both sides of the brain." It's
called the Kinetra Neurostimulator.

For patients the new advance by Medtronic means less surgery
time and fewer incisions. It works by stimulating the part
of the brain that influences motor control. It appears to
block brain signals that cause the characteristic stiffness
and shaking of Parkinson's.

David says the difference was amazing, "I can now drive more
effectively and easily. Just overall, life's conditions are
a lot more pleasant." The Kinetra Neurostimulator also allows
patients to use a remote control to adjust the brain
stimulation, so they have more control over their treatment.

David still takes medication, but the surgery has enabled him
to cut down, and now he can use the computer once again with
steady hands, "I'm delighted with the results."

The surgery to install the implant is risky, so the Kinetra
Neurostimulator is only available to patients who are not
responding well to medication and do not suffer from
dementia.

 http://www.medtronic.com/newsroom/news_20040122a.html

Jeff
www.dialforacure.com