Dear PIEN list members:  I just joined the list and am looking forward to
meeting many of you through this medium.  I am nearly 55 years old & have
had Parkinson's for about 5 years.  The scenario is, I'm sure, a very
familiar one : first my left thumb started shaking, gradually the tremor
included my left hand, then my left leg and foot also.  Recently I've
encountered a new aspect of PD, a painful dystonia in the toes of my left
foot.  Unlike many I've read about, I was diagnosed very quickly by my
doctors ( I belong to Kaiser Permanente in Northern California).  I was
started on Sinemet when diagnosed, then switched to Requip [ I don't
remember why ] , but after about a year or so had to go back to Sinemet
because the Requip made me very sleepy and made me feel like I was on a drug
trip (no pun intended).  Of course the Sinemet wears off more quickly than
it used to, and my toes hurt almost all the time.  I'm beginning to really
worry about how much longer I will be able to drive, work, etc.  The first
few years of tremors ruined my hopes of being able to play the piano -- I
was in the midst of lessons when I got PD, and eventually had to give it up
as I gradually lost control of my left hand.  But now the future
consequences of what's happening to my body are becoming much more scary ; I
had resigned myself to the shaking, and the various results of that, but the
pain in my foot which is only just beginning tells me I'm in for a lot more
than just the shakes.  I know this is not news to any of you who suffer with
PD, but I feel better having told you about it.   I've been to a few support
group meetings in my area, and found them to be very helpful.

I have just read "When Parkinson's Strikes Early"  , and wish to thank
Barbara Blake-Krebs, Linda Herman, and all those who contributed their
stories : the book is a MUST-READ for PWPs !   I've read a few books on PD
(& intend to read many more), but this one is the BEST  I've seen yet.
Barbara and Linda did a beautiful job of entwining facts & data about PD
with the human side of it - the lives  of those who suffer its effects.
And it was their book that 1st made me aware of the PIEN list, so you could
say that if I hadn't read the book I wouldn't be writing this letter to you
now.

If anyone has any suggestions re. the dystonia I'd love to hear from you.
My e-mail address is [log in to unmask] , or you can just send your response to
PIEN.  (I'm a real rookie at this, so forgive me if I don't yet know all the
protocol as far as how the list works, etc.)

Lastly, I will mention that I am a born-again Christian, so I would also
welcome hearing from other believers who have PD. (I also belong to a
support group @ church for people with disabilities.)  Thank you, and God
bless!  DAVE PETERSEN   ><>