Last night I took care of a demented, aggitated Parkinson's patient.  He
tried to hit me a number of times - thankfully, his aim was terrible
(naturally).  A psychiatrist I knew had been called in on his case to
address his combative behavior.  We were discussing the medication options
available when the psychiatrist told me that his first preference was
Haldol.   I quickly reminded him that Haldol was contraindicated in PD - and
shouldn't be considered for this patient.  Thankfully, this psychiatrist was
one of the 'good guys' who quickly realized his error.

Another PD patient of mine had been admitted to the hospital this weekend
because he had fallen and remained on the floor for six hours before he was
found. Apparently, he had been falling quite often over the past two weeks.
He had responded well to treatment and was heading for the rehab unit.
After assessing him, I asked if he needed anything - he told me that he
wanted cough syrup for his cough.  I related that his attending physician
would have to order it because some cough syrups were contraindicated in PD.
His wife responded that he had been taking quite a bit of cough syrup over
the past two weeks  - just about the time he had started to fall.

Last night she returned to our unit just to tell me that she had read the
cough medicine instructions which clearly stated that PD sufferers shouldn't
take the medication.

The moral of the story is - be aware of contraindicated PD drugs, remember
that not all doctors are familiar with what they are and *read all
over-the-counter medication labels.*
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 64/24)