From: "Greg Wasson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 2:26 AM
Subject: Re: WendyLearning To Accept Life, Not Fight It

> Peg,
>
> I don't believe that I said I was a nonbeliever - it would be inaccurate
if I did. I also recognize that belief in god or a higher power is relevant
to  emmotional support and strength to deal with this disease. But debating
whether god exists or why one chooses to believe in god seems periously
close to attempting to convince - preaching. I didn't say ban it , or move
it to a separate area as was suggested about PD politics, I just said label
it honestly - its off-topic.

> I am not here to stir up trouble - it  genuinely bothers me to see so much
of the "hallelujah" chorus here, on MGH, PLWP. It is usually fundamentalist
in nature and often offers its politics with it, such as comments about
prayer in schools, the pledge of allegiance, blah, blah...

> I won't post on this subject again, but after the recent anguished posts
about "we have lost our way" it seemed a bit hypocritical to launch into a
long thread discussing people why believe or don't believe in a deity. Just
my opinion.

> Respectfully my friend,
>
> Greg
>

> Peggy Willocks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> You make a valid point about not discussing the existence of God here.
Here
> is not a place to try to inflict our beliefs about anything about such
> important topics as religion - politics and advocacy included. However
here
> IS a place for us to share emotional support. Wendy was not preaching but
> merely making a statement about her emotional support being found in a
diety
> very much recognized throughout the world, no more than what you do
through
> your motivational statements about advocating for a specific political
> action. She was answering a question as to why bad things happen to good
> people - in her humble manner.
>
> Your point is well taken that you are wanting to go on record as a
> non-believer; Wendy's was well taken that she was going on record as a
> believer - something that helps her (and me and others) get through living
> with Parkinson's. It is best if we not discuss either politics or
> religion - but let's not totally remove the intent of the First
Amendment's