I also have an inquiring mind, but have decided that in spite of all of
my education, there are things that I will never understand. However, my
belief is based in logic, not emotion. Logically, I see four
possibilities:

1) If I believe and I am correct in my belief, then I am rewarded in at
least two ways: a) a life of hope and no fear about death, and b)
whatever reward God has in store (another life, life eternal, heaven,
whatever).
2) If I believe but there is no loving God, I haven't lost anything, but
have gained a life of hope and no fear of death.
3) If I don't believe and there is no loving God, then I have lost
nothing but a life of hope and no fear of death.
4) If I don't believe and I am wrong - I have lost everything.

Of the four choices, choice #1 has the most benefit. Therefore, I chose
to believe. It makes life a lot easier than fighting a fight I have no
effect on. Fighting Parkinsons is one thing - I CAN have an effect,
whether it is creating a spreadsheet, or participating in grassroots
campaigns to get more funding for research. Worrying about whether or
not there is a God - it just doesn't matter because nothing I do will
change the fact of whether of not God does exist.

Let me make it clear that I am not writing this to convert anyone. I
don't consider that my business or my job. It is merely a statement of
why I believe.

I'm sorry if this is too far off topic!

Wendy