-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Peggy Willocks
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 3:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Eye cell transplants aid Parkinson's patients

Hi Wendy and others interested in te eye cell transplants!
Dr. Ray Watts was chief investigating doctor in this project.  I was one
of
the original six.  It has been three yrs since my surgery.  The
operation is
stereotactic implantation of RPE (retinal pigmented epithelial) cells
into
the substantia nigra area of the brain.

All 6 original patients have maintained an average of about 40%
improvement
over baseline at the beginning - that's the stats at 2 yrs, so I would
call
it successful.  We only had one siide done.  no immunosupression drugs
are
required.  68 patients are being recruited foro this phase with about 32
already receiving the operation.  No reports yet but this group had both
sides done.  Go to clinicaltrials.gov or centerwatch.com and type a
search
for Spheramine or STEPS trials for more info.

I believe it's a therapy showing promiise.
Peggy