Anyone who runs a marathon (or participates in ANY athletic event for that
matter) can collect funds for Parkinson's.  But, there a few issues to deal
with.

For the last five years I have been involved with Team Parkinson at the LA
Marathon.  Marathoners, cyclists and 5K runners have collected money for PD
research and sponsors have donated funds to be represented on the T-shirts.
Team Parkinson was approved by the LA Marathon as an "official" charity
which allows it to use the logo and appear in LA Marathon materials.

Supporters write a check to Team Parkinson.  Money raised goes to the
Parkinson Alliance and the Parkinson's Unity Walk which distribute it among
the major PD organizations for research.

Others have run marathons and local events without being "approved" by the
local event.  For instance, the NY Marathon has only one official charity
that does not include PD.  Individuals have raised money for PD by running
in the NY Marathon.  They just decide on a PD charity that their donations
should go to and ask donors to write a check to that charity.

If you are going to try to raise money on your own by running a marathon,
etc., don't expect a PD organization to cover your expenses or put a great
deal of time and energy into promoting your effort without any track record.
PD orgs have an obligation to their donors to spend their time and money as
efficiently and effectively as possible to raise funds.  If they don't have
a plan in place it may not pay to put something together for one or two
runners.  But, they won't turn away a check that has been written to them.

Some non-PD charities organize nationwide "teams" for athletic events.  The
team recruits an athlete with the promise of training and paying for
expenses.  In most cases the athlete must guarantee a minimum of $3,000 to
$5,000 of contributions to make this work.  It's the only way that it pays
off for everyone involved.

On March 7th I'm going to run my second marathon for Parkinson's in LA.  I
decided that I could do my first marathon at the age of 50 because there
were people out there with PD, like John Ball and his friends, that were
doing it.  If they could make the effort, why couldn't I?  It took me six
hours and forty-seven minutes.  I was soundly beaten by a number of PWPs.
Hopefully, I can close the gap a bit this year.

My congratulations go out to the Brown family and all the folks at HAPS.

If you want to learn more about Team Parkinson visit
www.teamparkinsonla.org.  I'm the guy in front with the cute teal shorts.