I see some commonalities between your wife's experience and my
husband's, things that may or may not be coincidence.

You wrote:

"Does anyone else have any information that draws any correlation
between
inflammation, autoimmune disorders and PD?  ...  The first is
where the Thyroid is attacked by the autoimmune system eventually
causing it
to underperform."

My husband has recently developed a goiter. That was what eventually led
me to diagnose his PD. After researching it and other symptoms on the
web, I got the diagnoses down to hyperthyroidism or PD. The thyroid
doctor said all was normal, that's when I knew it was PD. He said they
don't know the cause of the goiter. Rich still has it, some days it is
larger than other days. So far, we can't determine what affects it.

You wrote:
"A great side effect during the course of treatment was an almost
total elimination of her asthma symptoms (reduction of inflammation in
lungs).  Since we have stopped the steroids it seems she is now
experiencing
more pain."

Rich had asthma as a child, and has in the past used steroids. He hasn't
had problems with asthma in years though.

Wendy