From: "Mary Ann Ryan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 10:27 AM
Subject: This is weird

> My husband, Jamie, has had a difficult time walking since his bypass
surgery more than a year ago.  We finally gave in to the fact that he would
need a power wheelchair, so we got one.  There are two steps leading up to
the main part of our house - our new power wheelchair obviously required a
ramp, so we got that too.

> Unfortunately, we have a *great deal of difficulty* getting the power
wheelchair up the ramp which means one of two things - I have to wheel my
220+ pound husband up the ramp in a manual wheelchair or he has to walk up
the ramp.  After getting having some difficulty wheeling him up a couple of
times, I suggested that he walk while I follow behind him with the manual
wheelchair.  At first he had some difficulty, but then he navigated up and
down the ramp like a trouper.

> Suddenly, I noticed that my husband has been able to walk even when his
Sinemet doesn't work - something that hasn't happened for over a year.  In
fact, his balance has improved significantly and he is walking quite well
indeed.  The only thing that I can think of that has changed is the fact
that he has had to navigate the ramp.  I think it has improved his balance.
Incidentally, he is able to walk up and down the ramp without holding on to
anything.  I find this whole scenario quite weird.  Thought I would share
it.
> God bless

mailto:[log in to unmask]