Boca Raton Charity Rolls Out Red Carpet For Oscar Viewers
By Ivette M. Yee - Staff Writer
Posted February 27 2004

The Academy Award party goes to ...

Take Charge! Cure Parkinson's Inc.

The Boca Raton-based charitable organization has been chosen to host the official Oscar Night Party on Sunday at the
Bocadoro restaurant in The Shops at Boca Center.

For the past decade, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has sponsored Oscar Night America, a philanthropic
program that designates official Oscar parties to be hosted by local charities in the United States.

They've raised nearly $11 million for the charities. All proceeds stay in the local community.

"Watching the Academy Awards show is one of the great American traditions," academy Executive Director Bruce Davis
said. "Since the public can't come to Los Angeles to attend the awards presentation, we created Oscar Night America,
which allows these local parties to tie into the excitement of Oscar night and to support some very worthy causes."

Being designated is more than just a title. Guests who attend the parties coast to coast watch the telecast on large-
screen TVs and receive the same program that Oscar-nominated actors Bill Murray and Charlize Theron will be holding in
nervous hands Sunday night. The charities decorate with official Oscar posters and banners and serve cocktails and
dinner in Hollywood-style grandeur. Take Charge! Cure Parkinson's will serve international cuisines from Greece, Spain,
Morocco and more.

"We'll have a red-carpet arrival, of course," said Alison Landes, founder and president of the nonprofit organization
dedicated to increasing the awareness of Parkinson's disease and improving the quality of life through community
programs and services. "And our emcee will be schmoozing with guests as they walk in."

Doing Joan Rivers duty is women's-issues activist and TV producer Rose Lee Archer, the party's emcee. Mayors Steven
Abrams of Boca Raton, Jeff Perlman of Delray Beach, Lois Frankel of West Palm Beach and Jim Naugle of Fort Lauderdale
are honorary heads for the event.

The Oscar Night party also includes a silent auction for items such as boxing gloves signed by Muhammad Ali and a ride
for two on the Goodyear blimp.

"I think it's going to be fantastic," said Janice Horowitz of Highland Beach, who has had Parkinson's disease for 23
years and benefits from the organization's exercise programs specifically designed for those who have the disease.
"This money will mean a great deal to all of us."

SOURCE: South Florida Sun-Sentinel, FL
http://tinyurl.com/3867a

* * *