Thanks, Greg. Michael Claeys was one of my first "advocacy" people to meet.
I wish him happiness and an advocacy link in California (???who???)
Peg

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Wasson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 3:00 AM
Subject: "the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so
nobly advanced..."-Mike Claeys leaves MJFF

> "It is for us...to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who
fought here have thus far so nobly advanced." Lincoln, Gettysburg Address

> As some of you may know, Michael Claeys is leaving his job as Manager -
Research Programs for the Michael J. Fox Foundation on Feb 27th. He is
coming back to a state he loves, California, to be with his fiance who has
found a great position in the wine country.

> I don't know of any special awards planned for Mike, although I am sure
the Fox folks will give him a great send-off. But Mike Claeys deserves a few
words in his honor that can be read by the wider PD community, because we
all owe him,  a man who does not have PD, a debt of thanks for his tireless
efforts on our behalf.

> He spent five years working for the Parkinson's Action Network and left
there as Senior Policy Coordinator.  In his five-year tenure with PAN,
Claeys conducted grassroots advocacy and direct federal lobbying on behalf
of the Parkinson's community. In those days many times Mike seemed like a
one-man band. PAN didn't have the staff it has now, and so on any given day
you could see him going from office to office, phone to phone, putting out
fires here and lighting others under Senators and Congressmen there. The
present grassroots advocacy program at PAN owes much to his vision and
creativity.

> I can remember as a green volunteer for PAN several years ago making some
"suggestions" for ways that things couldc be improved in the Santa Rosa
office - what followed was what diplomats like to call an "open and
forthright exchange of views." They could probably hear us in the next
county. I hung up from that call with a new appreciation of how much Mike
and Joan and the small staff in Santa Rosa had accomplished by sheer
willpower. I did a lot more listening after that and I learned much.

> Mike has always been gracious with his time, and timely with his advice
when asked fot it. The Parkinsons community will miss Michael Claeys. We owe
him a debt of gratitude. Anyone wanting to wish Mike a bon voyage may do so
at [log in to unmask] until end of business tomorow.