Carrie,  It is not you  Below is all I can do.  My letter will be published
in The Californian tomorrow.  I doubt if Mr. Chapman understood what I was
talking about.  I hope you can from this letter.

Dear Editor:  I know I have to wait 2 weeks to respond, but here it is.  I am
dying and don't have lots of time.  I called Mr. Chapman to verify his
beliefs.  I can do a pro/con article if you will let me.  Believe me, I know the
arguments on both sides.  Time is running out.

"The ethical decisions about SCNT (Somatic Cell Nuclear Transplantation) or
therapeutic cloning should be made by people who understand the research.

babies or fetuses, but an unfertilized egg, a germ cell (no sperm needed, a kind of
immaculate conception) and my own DNA from somatic cells.  I do not believe
this blastocyst, invivsible to the naked eye, of pluripotent cells (cells that
can become anything) 4-11 days old is a human being.  I asked whose life I was
taking if I theoretically used this therapy to cure my Parkinson's disease.
 No one has ever answered that questiion.

It will take years before therapies are available for people with
Huntington's Disease, ALS, MS, diabetes, Alzheimer's, spinal cord injuries and
Parkinson's.  The research desperately needs to be done to learn how cells, not babies,
behave.   The US, thanks to our President and his buddies, will  not lead the
world in this endeavor.  In fact, if they have their way, if I went to South
Korea or Singapore for treatment, on return to the US I could be fined
thousands of dollars and  jailed.

Mr. Chapman does believe a blastocyst is a "baby" and is a sincere gentleman
who to his credit, is at least consistent in his religious beliefs, opposing
both birth control and in vitro fertilization as well. "

Rayilyn Browm